Who works at CAMHS?

All the mental health professionals that you meet at CAMHS have been specially trained to work with young people with mental health problems.

These are some of the people you might meet when you visit CAMHS (in alphabetical order):

Arts therapists (art psychotherapists)

An art therapist helps people to develop new ways to communicate what they are thinking or feeling, through art. Art therapy may help you find out more about yourself, which can lead to positive changes. You do not have to be good at art to find this useful.

Child psychotherapists

Child psychotherapists offer longer and more in-depth therapy to understand your inner world, and how your past and present experiences have shaped how you manage situations and relationships.

Family therapists (family and systemic psychotherapists)

Family therapists work with you and the important people in your life. They think about the effects of problems on the whole family and what the family can do to help things improve. A family therapist encourages families to think about each other’s point of view, experiences and beliefs. They help families to think about changes they can make so everyone can get along better at home, as well as at school or out in the community.


CAMHS nurses are specially trained ‘talking nurses’. They work with young people and their families in managing and improving mental health. They are very good at listening and talking about things that upset young people. CAMHS nurses work closely with all members of the team and can help young people and their carers to work out practical ways of coping with upsetting things. They provide information and advice and work with everyone involved to find positive steps forward.

Primary mental health workers

Primary mental health workers work with young people who are having problems with their thoughts, feelings or behaviour. They often work in clinics, schools and homes. They also give training and support to other adults who work with young people, such as teachers and nurses.


Psychiatrists are doctors who are specially trained to work with and help young people with mental health problems. They meet with young people with all sorts of emotional difficulties, but also often see young people who have more worrying experiences. If your problems mean you need help to stay safe. Psychiatrists are often asked to help. They may prescribe medicines for you if necessary and you can talk to them if you have any worries or concerns about taking medicine. Psychiatrists will also help arrange for you to go to a hospital if you need to.

Psychologists (clinical psychologists)

Psychologists use different types of therapy, depending on the problem that they are treating. They are trained to help people understand the links between their thoughts, feelings, behaviour and world around them. Psychologists think with you about all the different factors, including past and present experiences, which might help explain your problems. They will meet with you, and often your family, and may suggest things for you to try to make positive changes.

Psychologists are also trained to complete assessments which look at memory, concentration, attention and other thinking skills.

For more information about who’s who in CAMHS, see Young Minds

Can I change my CAMHS worker?

If you would like to change your CAMHS worker, for whatever reason, you can speak to your current CAMHS worker or another member of staff. We want to hear what you think about coming to CAMHS and speaking about this won’t negatively affect the way you are treated. It will just help us think about how to work best with you.